For your problem with the contour editor in Writer, I think you should
file a bug report.  The easiest way is to use the Bug Submission
Assistant <https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/bug/>.  Please add me
<lo_bugs@iseries-guru.com> to the report, and I shall try to confirm
your report.

Terry,

On Tue, 2013-05-07 at 10:19 -0400, foberle@rcn.com wrote:
Hi:

This bug in the contour editor is apparently new in the 4.x version,
since I've used this quite a bit in earlier versions and never had
an issue.

When attempting to set a contour, everything goes ok until
attempting to "finish" the selection, at which time the entire app
crashes and disappears. The "check mark" icon never becomes
clear/active, so the problem seems to be in the closing of the
polygon. Nothing happens to the document that I can tell, and it
seems to get recovered with no issues.

I've confirmed this with images are in .png and .jpg formats if that
matters. I didn't try this with anything other than polygonal
selections.

I went back and looked at a few graphics that I had placed and
contoured in earlier versions (same document) and the contour
definition that had been previously set seems to still be honored. I
did NOT, however, go into the contour editor because I was afraid of
screwing up the layout.

Thanks.