M Robinson wrote:

<SNIP>
I haven't heard of Delete/Eraser that works as well on SSDs as
traditional hard drives. That said USB will be the most common storage
media soon enough. Who saves to CDs at work?

I don't think the icon is a big deal, the whole interface is dated, I
pitched a Firefox addon-like interface a while back, but I'm still ahead
of my time on that.

Rather than reinventing the wheel, update the saveicon with a stock USB
icon: a vertical USB icon, it looks like a human carrying stuff and you
have the integrated download arrow, and it is a recognized symbol on
cameras, phones, TVs, etc.
I am retired now, but I used to be a system builder, and I still build one once in a while. The point is, new motherboard designs no longer even include floppy interface connectors. If you use a floppy drive, it is most likely to be to input important (old) files into your computer that only existed on floppy, and you will do it using a floppy drive connected to a USB interface.

That said, I think that because you might use your systems hard drive, an optical disk, or a USB memory thumb drive, or even the cloud to store a document, it might be best to just represent the save with a little square with the letters [SV] inside to represent save. I myself use hard drive for most saves, USB for back-up saves, and optical disk for archival saves because optical disks are dirt cheap. I just figured out that a DVD+-R with over 4 Gig of storage actually costs less than one of the old 3.5" floppies that only held 1.4 Mb, which is over 3000 times as much capacity, which is why the floppy is dead. I still have one or two old floppy drives laying around my old parts, but I tossed the last of my floppy disks in the trash a year or two ago. A bit of trivia here, Windows 95 came on a set of 13 floppy disks, and at the time of Windows 98 you had to use a floppy disk to input the drivers to interface with an optical drive before you could install the OS which came on a CD-ROM. As recently as 2 years ago you still had to use a floppy drive to input the drivers to enable RAID. Another bit of trivia, a DVD recording drive now actually costs less than a 3.5" floppy drive used to cost, plus you couldn't play movies on a floppy drive. (technically you can record motion pictures on a floppy, but they have to be of rather short duration)