On 2011-02-11 3:35 PM, Kevin Hunter wrote:
How the quickstarter works is have use gobs of memory effectively
sitting idle. That doesn't work. Many of us in the computing,
engineering, physics, and chemical fields *use* our computational
resources.

75MB is not 'gobs' - that or we live in very different realities.

Yes, it is gobs. If you have 4GB+, perhaps it's not, but not everyone has 4GB+. Particularly in non-Western countries. I have just returned from Ethiopia, for example, where owning a computer is rare; for those who do, 256 MB is common. I suspect that we *do* live in different realities.

RAM is extremely cheap these days.

If $100 bucks is cheap to you, then so be it. It's not to me, a graduate student.

The short answer is that the quickstarter doesn't count: I want it
to load as fast or faster than MSO /without/ the quickstarter. MSO
can do it, from a cold boot, fast. Why can't LO?

Strawman... MSO *does* have a quickstarter, but it is invisible - hidden
in the OS startup processes...

Please point me to documentation of this hidden quickstarter. The MS version that I'm aware of is this program:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290144

It's called Osa, and is an optional component to run at startup. If you want to argue the relative startup times, please try it for yourself, both with the Osa running, and without. If you still get different results than these, then all I can say is that we must have dissimilar test methodologies; I can confirm this relative speed on at least 6 boxes of varying age and hardware capabilities.

On one particular 4 year-old machine, with 1G of system RAM, and without the OOo Quickstarter or MS' osa program running, rebooting for each trial, and opening the same 2003 Word (.doc) document:

MSO 2003:  8s  (average of 3 boots)
OOo 3.3:  17s  (average of 3 boots)

Regards,

Kevin