On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 02:54:48 AM Pedro wrote:
Hi Russ

upscope wrote

I agree with his point but as I stated I do not have any MicroSoft
Office Software. I strictly use Linux and LibreOffice. The sample
document is one sent to be from Canada by a user and I've tried to
convince them to save it as .doc but I'm the only one so far not
using XP, Vista or Win 7/8. I even tried to have them send it as a
.pdf but that was above some of their knowledge level.

I apologize for missing that important information. Since the document
uses several cosmetic/fancy features it makes sense for them to save
as docx instead of doc.

If they were using Office 2010 there is an option to Send as PDF. But
they are probably using Office 2007 and that would require installing
a PDF printer such as PDFcreator.
However sending the documents as PDF only works for documents which
the addressee doesn't need to edit...

upscope wrote

I would say about 70% of the documents I receive today are .docx. I
have no problems with the text only ones. When I send them a
document I usually save it as .pdf or .doc and it is all correct.
its the incoming ones with graphics that I cannot control.

That is exactly the barrier I was discussing in previous emails...

I suggest that instead of sending a plain PDF, you Export as PDF and
check the Embed OpenDocument file option. This way it behaves as a
PDF for your addressees and you can still edit and modify using
LibreOffice. The file is a bit larger but the advantages are obvious
:)
It also saves you from having to keep two separate files.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7qfv51qpl50ofxk/Newsletter_April_2013_odf_em
bedded.pdf

Since PDF files are probably associated with a PDF reader in your
system, you need to open LibreOffice first and then use it to open
the PDF ;)

Hope this helps ;)

 Thanks Pedro. I was aware of the options you mentioned. I have not used
the embeded option since two of the people I send thins two have been
total confused and try to open it with Word.

Evem my still uses opprice 2003 on her WIN 7 system. It works for her.
I've told her many times to install LibreOffice and learn it, since that
version of Word will not be supported after April next year. No Luck so
far, she claims she does not have time to learn something new now. She
is an Author snd constantly working on new book.

I know of several Word to pdf converts that I used in the past on Win ME
(My last MS System).

The author of the document I posted is going to send me a PDF version, I
post it to see if its the the pdf version from Win XP I think you posted

sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Thanks again

Russ
--
openSUSE 12.3(Linux 3.7.10-1.1-desktop x86_64)|KDE 4.10.2
"release 556"|Intel core2duo 2.5 MHZ,|8GB DDR3|GeForce