between Christmas and New Year, I have been working on the budget for 2013. The good news is that since our fundraising campaign in October, we have received approximately 60.000 € (!) in donations, which is just amazing, and the average donation rate per month shifted from 2.500 € to about 10.000-15.000 €. Congratulations to everyone involved, you all can be very proud of that!

A few comments to this very first draft of the budget, that we would like to refine together with you.

- All counters are reset to zero, which is why at a first glance, the available money looks less than last year. In the December budget, only one monthly rate for our infrastructure was left, while for 2013, full 12 months are planned in.

- The item of domain names was previously left uncounted, but I calculated our annual fees yesterday, and added that value.

- This budget only plans in the TDF Berlin account money, not the donations SPI collected for the LibreOffice project. The most recent SPI treasurer's report I could find is linked in the header of the budget.

- Travel fundings usually occur via SPI, not via the TDF Berlin account, which is why we did not plan them in as fixed item in this budget.

- The safety reserve is based on my gut feeling. It might make sense to top that up to 20.000 € to be prepared for unexpected spendings, but for the moment, I'd like to leave it at 15.000 €.

- This budget does not yet foresee any reserves for 2014, which we should collect already early on, since nobody knows how the donation flow will continue.

- The budget can always only factor in the amount we definitely do have. For planning of long-term projects, it might make sense to have a "prospective budget" soon, to know what - given the donation flow stays as it currently is - we have available in e.g. June. However, keep in mind that budgets can never ever be on prospective amounts, but must fit to what we definitely have available for spending.

- The values outside the yellow frame are planned in and/or booked already, and the budget requests we have received so far are in the yellow, framed box. The latter are the items we need to plan and discuss about.

To give a better overview, I have uploaded the current budget draft to our wiki at

        https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Tdfbudget2013.pdf

Any feedback welcome, and thanks a lot to everyone for their contributions!

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108
Jabber: floeff@jabber.org | SIP: floeff@iptel.org