Thank you everyone for your participation, it was of much enlightenment.

LibreOffice is a true free libre open source software (FLOSS) whereas
Apache's project is not recognized to be a free software by the Free
Software Foundation.
LibreOffice has received the backing from several commercial partners such
as Red Hat, Canonical, Intel, Google, etc.

Immanuel