Changing icons in minor versions is probably not a good idea.
Yeah I agree.

Changing the floppy Icon has outdated ALL books about
OpenOffice/LibreOffice that have been written, >including textbooks. Such
changes might happen in major versions, always allowing the users to use
the old >theme, but a forced changed disconnects the products from all the
efforts and materials that have been >made to support its distribution...
and in many cases makes it unusable.

EVEN for countries in the third world, relying on textbooks, dead
documents, for a software which is very much alive makes little sense. The
future is here, why not take it and use it at once. Free wiki's are
everywhere. Wikia.com is a great place to start. Relying on textbooks just
won't cut it in 2012.

In Cambodia, OpenOffice is used in all the school system... considering
changing to LibreOffice with icons >that are different than the ones in the
official textbook is just not possible, it would just create lots of
confusion for teachers and students, and that is exactly what we do not
need. The system might change to a >new interface when it wants.... but not
when LibreOffice developers decide to change, it is just not possible >to
print new textbooks.

Yet, I do see your point that you are trying to comply with the legacy of
OpenOffice. We all know how legacy dependency can hurt a software project.
In particular a project where competition is intense and competitors are
using dirty tricks. But okay I won't entertain the idea to ditch break with
this legacy, for now.

But I still believe that the user interface *NEEDS* more work and both
finegrained pixel-hunts as well as moving away from the MS Office-2000
style.

With the best of intentions
-A

[...]

Cheers,