Olav Dahlum wrote:
2012/2/15 Shawn Sumin <shawn.sumin@gmail.com>

Will LibreOffice ever have a similar program like MS Outlook?

i.e. Calendar, Tasks, Contacts and Mail

The components was thrown out of StarOffice in its time, so putting them
back won't be feasible. But as other people points out, it's actually
possible to integrate third party applications without much difficulty. The
focus here should mainly be on office suites, but I also understand the
importance of a fully working front office solution, so improving
integration are important.

– Olav
You have to excuse me for saying this, I have used OpenOffice since it was first released to the public (I loved OO Writer, and I like LO Writer even more) and I am a big fan of open source software, BUT there is an attitude in the general open source community that users should work around the fact that open source software solutions are not, and perhaps should not be totally integrated. As long as this attitude persists the corporate world will NEVER go to open source for their day to day software needs. MS, Oracle, Adobe and other corporate software providers do and always will pander to this desire for fully integrated solutions.

Many of us, myself included have no need for this degree of software integration. However for anyone who does, all I can say is scrape together the exorbitant price for M$ Office and buy it. You will get the full integration that you desire. Forget about open source software, at least for the foreseeable future it will not provide what you seem to be looking for.

Now the world of corporate produced software is not all perfect either. A glaring example of this is Apple, their QuickTime video player has a truly horrible user interface. Each time they come out with a new version I keep thinking that they will improve the user interface, and they never do. Likewise, they keep nagging me to upgrade my copy of iTunes but they keep releasing incremental upgrades, that offer no improvements that are noticeable to us ordinary users, and they won't even tell us users why we should upgrade. And so I don't and won't until they go to the next major upgrade, from version 10x to 11x.

I am not a big fan of M$ software, but there is one thing they do that I like, they send out patches that are small and only change the part of a large program that needs to be changed. They don't insist that you download and install a whole new copy of it. That is also why I won't upgrade my copy of LO until version 4.0 comes along. Or until they announce that the next version incorporates some feature that I REALLY want.