Hello all --

I've been a computer and application "power user" since 1985 (and dedicated word-processor operator [Philips Micom] prior to that), and moved into tech consulting and applications design (4G database stuff) in 1993 through 2008 ... yet in the past I have always been very frustrated in my attempts to participate in improving open-source products. At times I've even been treated quite rudely because I am not a programmer and am not familiar with programmers' tools. As someone with 15 years of experience "in the trenches" working with users and programming teams both -- because my role as analyst & designer was to merge that divide -- I have always wanted to help out with QA. I walk in both worlds, though I'm an expert in neither I am a great translator. Users's struggle --> user story --> nicely done ticket --> dedicated follow-up until it's resolved.

A few years ago I tried to do so with OOo. The only format for participating on tests was to utilize an extremely intimidating, unfriendly web-based app for reporting problems. Instructions were nonextistent or completely fragmented across various wikis, in-app help pages, mailing list archives, you name it. When I signed up on the dev mailing list thinking these would be the people to explain to me what it is they need and how to work with their tools, I got only the most unhelpful and brusque answers (if any). Not one person was able, apparently, to recognize the value of having end-users and non-coding tech consultants pitch in with QA. Not one person was willing to answer my questions in plain language. Having nowhere to turn, I gave up.

I feel compelled to write to this list to say what a *wonderful* invitation I just received to help test LibreOffice 3.5. The email is warm, inviting, makes me want to help, has links to the download page, there are links to the wiki, there is an extremely well-done page of new features to try. OMG! there will be /mentors/!!!, WHAT A BEAUTIFUL DIFFERENCE.

Thank you to Italo for the great email and to every single person who was involved in planning and preparing for this bug hunt. Thanks in advance to the mentors. Thanks to all the programmers. This is wonderful. As someone who has led small projects but MANY small projects, I have a great feeling about LibreOffice!!

I've installed 3.5 and rather than dreading filing reports and working with whomever is on "the other side of the equation" I am seriously looking forward to this.

kazar
--
ilyse kazar
ade.pt and unlikelyvoters.com