Le 24/10/11 23:41, Peter Jentsch a écrit :

Hi Peter,

So I'd like to hear your opinions on that: is anyone using the validation
button or at least theoretically sees some practical value to it,
compared to offering to open the resulting XML in your favourite editor?

The problem I see with that approach is that :

- the favourite editor doesn't necessarily provide validation either, or
maybe I'm just using the wrong ones ;-)

- it would become dependent on the implementation specifics of the
editor, but maybe people can live with that, after all, editing XML is
not everyone's cup of tea anyway !!

My interest in "something that just works" is both personal and
professional. In a professional capacity, I have to draft patent
applications for online filing according to a internationally agreed
standard :

http://www.wipo.int/standards/en/xml_material/st36/

At present, one of the organisations I work with, the EPO, makes
available an XML-Form based application that enables users to create an
patent application request, include content as part of the application
by importing either XML files or via a Word document (which uses VBA
macros to convert the structure of the Word document into valid XML),
and then validate the whole thing against the relevant DTDs. The user in
essence needs to know nothing about XML processing and validation, it is
all transparently achieved for him/her.

I was hoping to find some way to do this with LibO, and the XSLT export
feature looked like a potential candidate to me. I have also started
looking at the potential use of XForms from within LibO to produce a
valid XML document that would allow me to either create a valid XML
document for processing with the online filing software, or simply some
valid XML file that I could import into the PatXML application, without
the need of having to go through Word.

I had hoped that the existing XSLT/XSD export/validation functionality
within LibO could be used to that effect, but it would appear from your
initial comment that this might actually be beyond LibO's current
capabilities, hence the idea to farm this out to an external editor.

For my given situation, this validation could of course be carried out
by PatXML, but unfortunately this is a Windows only solution, and I was
hoping to be able to implement a platform independent one, hence the
consideration of the LibO internal validation route.

I admit that this is probably a niche case, but nonetheless remains
important for me. Unfortunately, I can not at present say whether the
functionality within LibO would actually work for the scenario I am
considering, so my comments may be completely moot.

Alex