Hi Drew,

drew wrote on 2011-09-24 17:04:

Thanks for the time and effort you have put in here and over the years,
I place great value, and am assured that others do as well, in your
contributions.

thank you very much for your kind words! In fact, it's really the community spirit and the feeling of a big, worldwide family that keeps all of us going every day. So it's not the merit of individual contributors, but the overall community that does so well, and I'm proud of being a part of it. :-) I couldn't do what I do if there was not such strong support and positive feelings from the community.

I would like to ask your opinion on how you see the relationship between
FrODev.org and TDF evolving after TDF becomes a legal entity.

(I'm speaking with my TDF hat on here, not with my FrODeV hat)

In fact, the German situation is somewhat special, since 1. the Foundation is about to be established in Germany and 2. the German association acts as legal interim entity.

As soon as the Foundation stands on its own feet, being a legal entity, all assets including trademarks, domains but also the money on the dedicated bank account will be handed over to the association. From that point on, TDF itself has full legal and organizational responsibility, so FrODeV and TDF will be two totally independent entities.

Especially for Germany, but also for all other countries, we need to work together on defining clear profiles on who does what. For the Paris conference, a discussion about local NGOs is planned, where some policies and thoughts will be discussed. It makes absolute sense to have local entities involved, as collecting and spending money inside your own country is much easier than doing that from another country. If, for example, in South Africa a LibreOffice event takes place, it makes much more sense to have a local association coordinate that legally and monetary, rather than a German foundation.

So, we will need to define responsibilites, and also see how donations on behalf of LibO/TDF will be handled.

While other countries have it a bit easier -- if someone from France wants to donate, going to the local NGO is a logical step, rather than to a German Foundation -- for Germany, it will always be a bit more complicated. If a German resident wants to donate, who should he donate to? FrODeV or TDF?

To answer that question, we need to define the profiles, so we can tell what money will be used for, so donors know which activities they support.

My idea is that local associations engage themselves for local projects, like FrODeV does for the QA weekend, project's weekend, local contests and conference, while TDF engages for global activities, like Hackfests, the Conference, central infrastructure and the like.

In a nutshell: It's something we indeed all have to work on for making TDF as well as local NGOs grow.

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108