On 25/08/11 12:50 AM, Robert Boehm wrote:
Hi...no problems...just asking for advice. I have been testing the beta builds of LO since it came out and use openSUSE as my main operating system. On my "production" machine, I have been using the "Stable" builds provided by the SUSE repository which has worked fine. If there any SUSE development people who
monitor this list, I hope that they chime in.

It seems as if the stable repository is ULTRA conservative...as I wait for updates to the latest stable branch, they are still pushing version 3.3.3. I have had no trouble at all with version 3.4.2. 3.4.3 is already in RC status... why the delay? So...my question is this: With absolutely no trouble using the "vanilla" builds...I am thinking of
going to the LO vanilla latest stable builds.

What advantages does the SUSE builds (on SUSE) have over the vanilla builds, if any? I am not too worried about desktop integration, as it seems as if the vanilla builds integrate and work fine (and look good too)....

Sorry if this is a bother and cluttering the list, but I just want some advice from those "out there"...and/or any word from the SUSE people what their master plan is with the stable repository. The UNSTABLE is still pushing 3.4.2 as if it's cutting edge...while 3.4.3 is already out there. Of course, on my "production" environment, I will be only using a stable build anyway...but I want to move forward faster than the SUSE repository is....

Hi. I use 3.3.4 from the LO site on my Suse boxes in the office and have never had problems. On my laptop that is not essential I use 3.4.1 to follow the more advanced changes, generally without problem. I also have OOO3.2.1 on the office Suse boxes as sometimes I need to go backwards to open a document correctly. There were a couple of quirks I found to installing the LO RPMs on my Suse.