On Jul 15, 2011, at 10:51 AM, Mark Wielaard wrote:

On Fri, 2011-07-15 at 10:30 -0400, Benjamin Horst wrote:
I think Symphony has done a great job with its UI work--that's what I'd most like to see come
under an open source license.
- tabbed document interface lets you open multiple files in one window
- a "dashboard" like the OOo / LibO splash screen, but you can open it from a button that
appears on the tab bar. This fits into the dashboard functionality with potential integration
into online services, as I have envisioned and previously described:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org_Dashboard_Concept
- formatting and other tools appear in a vertical column on the side of the main document
window, which is one of the most-frequently requested UI features I've seen come through the OOo
and LibO communities

That would be interesting indeed. But according to one of the IBM
engineers [*] they are only interested in contributing the C++ parts
(and strangely seem to want to keep using their own in-house ClearCase
setup for integration). The GUI (menu/toolbars and the tab windows)
stuff is all implemented using Expeditor [**] a giant (proprietary)
eclipse based java framework that embeds the C++ document views. So
hopefully they are also prepared to free Expeditor.

Rob specifically referenced the UI improvements, so the followup message from Erik Ma, the
architect, is somewhat confusing. In any case, after Rob Weir's formal announcement, we should have
more workable information.

-Ben

[*]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201107.mbox/%