Hi Dennis

Le 2011-06-26 17:15, Dennis E. Hamilton a écrit :
Well, sure, you can use an ODF package just like a Zip archive and add parts to it.

The ODF Specification does not prevent that.

However, the META-INF/manifest.xml file should be updated to include the addition.

You can't count on any ODF consumer preserving a file that seems to have no use, even though there
are those who think such accretions should be preserved.  People who worry about document security,
authenticity, and corporate information leaks tend to disagree and arrange to have their
implementations delete material that is not recognized. There are implications for digitally-signed
documents, as well.

The problem with this is that now someone has to fish the fonts out of there and install them where
they are actually recognized for presenting the document.  If LibreOffice is updated to automate
the capture of fonts and their extraction again, aren't we back to the previously-unsolved problem?

I don't know. Is this what has happened to the .pdf files? Why could not ODF use some form of embedded fonts as Adobe Acrobat does now? There doesn't seem to be a problem with this.

At that point, it might be better to do it the other way round.  Put the ODF document in a Zip
archive (or tar.gz or whatever) along with the fonts and instructions on what to do with the fonts
if one wants a rendition of the ODF document close to what was intended by its author.

Or just separate the fonts into a handy Zip bundle that is available somewhere and perhaps put a
little note in the document about what fonts work best along with information on finding and
installing the font package.  Observing the necessities of license conditions, of course.

I am sure there are covert arrangements that could be created.  I have nothing to say about that.

Doing this at the user level is too complicated. It would have to be done seamlessly and unseen by the user for them to consider the use of ODF files worth using.

  - Dennis