On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 7:03 PM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 13:54, Florian Effenberger
<floeff@documentfoundation.org> wrote:
That point has been repeaded over and over again, but basically you are
saying everyone "Do not set up your own foundation at all, we alreadyh have
enough."

(FWIW I aimed - but probably failing - to be much more nuanced)

I don't know that Robert B-D said that, or anybody else. *I* certainly
said it, and strongly believe it. But that's just me :-)

I believe that setting up a new upstream Foundation to play with major
corporations with a new governance model, IP system and legal
framework is difficult and unrewarding work best avoided where
possible. (It's a PITA. Given a choice, I would have preferred to
spend much less of my life on it...)

Given the donation to Apache, TDF could opt to focus on development
downstream of the ASF cloning the well known GPLv3 distributed
development model with copyright assigned to the FSF. Most problems
(with major corporations players, IP or whatever) that the TDF
community didn't want to handle right away could then be pushed
upstream to the ASF or the FSF. Less risk and more freedom for the
TDF.

Besides, the currently existing association has a governance model, is
non-profit and donations are tax-deductible.

Ah! I didn't know that the current sponsor enabled that. Good stuff.

+1

I had thought you were further away...

That's the impression I had from an early post here as well...

Robert