I am working with LibreOffice at the moment, particularly Calc, and come across a range of problems I identified as originating with the moving/copy-paste/import of data created in Windows (code page 1252) into calc on an Ubuntu machine (Unicode UTF-8); in particular the extended ASCII character 248 or degree sign -- The sheets eventually became unstable and columns became offset as any column with this symbol was moved to the left and even columns shuffled.

That aside, I noted that importing CSV files it allows you to define the code page but if you import, open or save an Excel file no such option exists. Such functionality does not exist in writer either.

Considering document portability appears to be a primary objective of LibreOffice then I respectfully suggest that the code page should be clearly specified somewhere in all open document formats (e.g. document properties) and an option exist to change this if a document is opened, imported or saved by any of the office suite software.

--
Cheers Simon

Simon Cropper
Principal Consultant