after following this mailing list for a while, today I want to ask for your opinion about two features I miss in Impress.

The first feature is linked to the custom slide shows. To avoid several sildes with the same content, I use one "big" file as a container for all slides I need. Using custom slide shows allows then creating the topic depended slideshows I need. The problem is, that the automatic page side numbering is not able to handle custom slide shows. That means, that the page numbering of the slides are also used in the custom slide show. So you will see eg. after page 3 page 7 in the custom slide show. Since years I found no solution for this. I tried to create a makro but this is much harder for me than I thought in the beginning. Would be nice, if this feature would be also useful for others so that it makes sence to ask for an implementation in Impress.

The second missing feature is support for automatic ToC- and Index-Tables as they are implemented so nicely in Writer.

Why do I think, I need these two features?
The silde shows I´m creating, having very often 100 to 200 slides. The topics are different but all refers about the same thing - so many slide are the same. To avoid versioning problems, the solution is the custom slide show. There are lot of people saying, that page numbers are bad style in slide shows. Maybe, but the attendees of my presentation always get a printed version of it to allow making notices. I tried without page numbers, but the trainees were not happy, because finding the good page when restart after a break is not easy is 200 slides without page numbers. So, in my mind, there is no other way for me than with page numbers. Since the slide show is also used as something like a "reference guide" or documentation, the trainees use it for their daily work. Therefore, having ToC and an alphabetical Index about the main keywords would be very helpful for them.
Now maybe someone will say, Impress is not the tool for this, use X or Y.
I tried several other software, but all I tested having more holes than Impress has: Writer is not good in creating slides and for presentation stuff - which is not surprising since it is made for documents containing mostly text. Scribus could be a choice- but does not support custom "slide shows" and having each page as a single file and create one master file which embed the single files is not supported (or to say it better, I was not able to get it work). LaTeX - Allows many things I need, but "drawing" is painful and since the slide show must also be used by my collegues, "programming the presentation" is not possible.

What is your opinion? Do you agree that these two features could be helpful for others? Can you give me ideas, how to solve these issues in another way (I prefer in Impress but other software suggestions are also welcomed)?

Chynte

BTW: Congratulations for this nice mailing list. The spirit here is very friendly. I followed a lot of mailing lists in my life and I can tell you very often it more a war than a discussion ...