On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 11:35:24 AM +0000, Gordon Burgess-Parker
(gbplinux@gmail.com) wrote:

On 31/12/10 10:32, M. Fioretti wrote:

wrong. Mine (mutt) doesn't for example,

Then I would plonk you immediately. How do you not see that that is
TOTALLY ARROGANT?

Uh??? In that part of your message you had made a purely technical
assertion. You had said that email CLIENTS (i.e. not the actual people
sending email, but the software programs they use) "always reply in
the same format in which the original message was received".

I only noticed that this purely technical assertion of yours IS wrong
because it is an undeniable fact (for which I personally bear NO
responsibility...) that the sending format in most email clients is
only a *default* that users can change as they please, not to mention
that some email clients only send as plain text. You made a technical
assertion, I replied at the same level. If you think a technical
default setting of most email clients (i.e. not the way people use or
configure them) is totally arrogant, yell at their developers, not at
me.

If I send you an email in plain text and you reply in HTML, because
YOU want to, that is complete rudeness and intolerance.

Sure. But it's still wrong, as I already pointed out, to mix
txt-vs-html email with ODF-vs-OOXML, because HTML is really open and
not controlled by one company, OOXML is a totally different
situation. So if you really need to insist in this thread (and I take
the fact that you only replied at my last paragraph as a sign that you
agree with everything else I wrote), at least please drop email
examples entirely.

Marco F.