I need to be able to open Excel files in ODF. It would be a deal
    breaker for me.On 12/31/2010 8:42 AM, Mark Preston wrote:I should have thought that, with the
massive issues even Microsoft has
of meeting the alleged standard they have set, it was fairly obvious
why other software has not tried to meet it.

ODF works, is well-supported and even works in Microsoft Office so
with respect the answer is to use ODF and not bother with the
Microsoft formats at all.

On 31/12/2010 11:27, Jaime R. Garza wrote:Hello,

I just want to inform you all that docx, pptx, xlsx, etc is not the same as
the "ISO OOXML" which was saddly accepted as an "ISO standard". The
currently used OOXML format is a completely proprietary XML based format.
And the specification of the OOXML "ISO Standard" is so complex and long
that not even MS has been able to implement it, and they are promising they
will implement it for MS Office 2014, so there you you go, yet another MS
format for 2014!

The next MS format, which is supposed to be "completely specified in the
open", still has proprietary hooks, like WordArt, and such stuff that
remains proprietary but the base is completely specified in the open. The
specification is so long and complex, that there will be a lot of time
before someone can even start to be really compatible to the files generated
from MS office 2014.

In the other hand, MS already supports ODF, readwrite, so if we can, why
the %$%$ wouldn't we support the MS formats? Don't you understand that
there are customers for every LO user that use MS Office and they need to
exchange information. And since MS office can read and write ODF, why would
an enterprise customer choose LO or even OO?

I work in a big German company, and I have tried to make ODF, OO/ LO
relevant, but nobody cares because a great majority of our customers use MS
Office and MS Office formats. What is wrong with you guys? To be a religious
freak doesn't help for the adoption of open standards and open source.

Cheers!