Hi guys,

On Tue, 2010-11-16 at 09:59 -0500, nathan nolast wrote:
the tango icon theme set is pretty complete, heres their basic icon set
..
In my opinion, this icon set has greater appeal to the eye, its polished.

        JFYI - we already default to this icon set, though in Beta2 it is made
somewhat incomplete (and ugly size-wise), since we lost the fallback to
the 'industrial' icon theme - which fills in all the icons for which
there was no point in re-drawing Tango equivalents.

        So - Beta3 will have cleaner artwork in this regard; let me know what
you think when it comes out.

Does anybody know how complete Tango is at the moment? How many missing,
or maybe not that matching (in terms of icon metaphor and thus
usability) icons left to make it a "drop-in" replacement?

        So - looks poor in Beta2 - check-out Beta3 ;-) but the Tango set is
rather complete. Jakub (one of the key Tango guys) worked on it for
Novell, targetting OO.o for many, many months some years back. Probably
it will need a few new icons touching up - but we fall-back to the
existing icon set as/where one is missing - so there will always be an
icon in a given hole.

        My personal taste is to switch the default to Tango, and deprecate the
old icons (leaving them lying around) - if only for licensing reasons:
Tango has a much more 'friendly' license for big companies like Oracle /
IBM and is a large chunk of work.

        Clearly continuing to ship the crystal, oxygen, legacy, and hicontrast
makes lots of sense - particularly on platforms (like Linux) where we
can auto-select one that best matches the current desktop theme.

        HTH,

                Michael.