On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 22:06 +0100, Peter Rodwell wrote:
Quoting T. J. Brumfield:

In all fairness, Android tablets could become a large emerging market, but
Windows is still by far the predominant market.

But how many people will use them for heavy-duty word processing,

How many people use OOo for heavy duty WP? Certainly not the majority of
users.

spreadsheeting and presenting? LO/OO is a heavy-duty package for
heavy-duty work, after all.

But like MSO 90% of the use probably employs less than 10% of the
features.

I've tried typing on my stepson's iPad (on the couple of occasions
when I've been able to prise it from his grip) and it's hopeless.
OK for Web surfing, short e-mails, etc, but tablet ergonomics are
completely unsuited for serious work. Even laptops are dubious
(nasty keyboards, small screens, etc).

I am using a laptop now, but I'm using a standard keyboard plugged into
a USB port on it. So for $5 I have all the advantages of a laptop and a
desktop. Screen is big enough but I can plug it into a bigger one if
needed, We have a 42" Plasma and a data projector or 2 here.

Take a phone like the Samsung Galaxy S. Design a netbook style case with
a decent keyboard and screen and a slot to slide in the phone. Lets say
the keyboard and screen are $50. I'd certainly buy that and dispense
with my netbook. I already run OOo, Inkscape, Audacity, etc on the
netbook and practically its one or two apps at a time but mostly I use
it for web stuff, e-mail and WP. Of course I could also take the HDTV
out from the phone and plug it into a 1080P TV screen.

Really we have to look just a little bit further ahead. As a very famous
hockey player said "I'm good because I skate to where the puck will be
not where it is at the moment".

I'd say that it would be worth taking the gamble to prioritise to
Android - OOo works well enough on Windows for most people so marginal
incremental improvements are not going to tip that market at the end of
10 years trying. A real killer on 'phone technology as it develops has a
much better chance but probably that opportunity is already lost simply
because others are beating us there. K-Office on Nokia for a start.

--
Ian
Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications