Hi David!

Am Sonntag, den 17.10.2010, 23:32 +0200 schrieb David Filskov:
Sure - that's cool. I was merely thinking the Sun developers might
have seen their goal as beiong to mimic MS office rather than create
something better.

"What is better" really depends on the point-of-view. Is it better to
create something different (maybe better), or to provide something
similar so that more people can easily "switch" (and e.g. getting
openness for free)?

All these questions depend on the marketing strategy of a product. And
yes, there has been a "me too" strategy within OpenOffice.org some years
ago ("Project Q"). It aimed to fill the major gaps people experienced
when switching over from Microsoft Office. Rationale: Gain market share.

In some markets, OpenOffice.org gained market share - and can be proud
of it. Consequently, a project like "Renaissance" could be kicked of to
aim for something better ... even if this makes us behave different (a
bit). Something I still strongly support.

So in any case, it depends on the situation of the (commercial)
contributors, the demand by the market, and the needs of users. By the
way, my primary interest is bound to the latter ones :-)

Sadly that was partly my impression. But I'm glad Libre might be
different in that aspect :)

Let's say that we do experience different constraints, but in the long
run, we will only be successful, if we deliver something really good. So
let's start to create something which is good, not only is expected to
be good :-)

Cheers,
Christoph