 On 14/10/10 05:25, Scott Furry wrote:
 Dear LibreOffice Community,

I am Re-Posting the original survey under new title. If you wish to have a discussion about the survey or aspects of someone's responses, I would kindly ask that you start a new thread (please add "discussion" or similar to the title so as to distinguish the discussion from the survey itself).

For those of you who have replied, thank you. I have your answers tucked away and you do not have to fill this out again.

For those who have not replied, with a rather "timely" new beta release, please give thought about what is important to you when it comes to installing/updating LibreOffice. Your responses will help TDF understand its users.

I intend to keep this thread going for a couple more weeks. At that time, I'll compile and report back the results.

Thanks to all,
Scott Furry

Original Survey Follows
---------------------------------
As suggested, this post is intended to get the opinion of the community about how best to deliver LibreOffice to its users.

Given that LibreOffice is an important and viable alternative to paid-for office productivity software, and we all feel strongly and passionately about the direction of LibreOffice, input about the community members' expectations/needs/users is needed.

From what we have heard on this topic so far:

- Mac users have commented that they do not have an issue with the current installer available on the Mac platform.

- Window users indicated that an update mechanism would be great. Some commented that the current Windows installer leaves artifacts behind. The Windows Installer does not detect/remove previous installations properly.

- Linux users have discussed vast amounts opinions on packaging in Linux. Some have questioned if distributing packages is a good thing.

-----------------------

This survey is to gauge the views of the LibreOffice community on the install/update method of LibreOffice. Please voice your opinion so that these considerations may be taken into account when the LibreOffice method of install/update is studied by the developer team. Please *bottom-post* your opinions.

How do you expect LibreOffice to be updated?

How do you Install/Update LibreOffice?

What do you expect when Installing/Updating LibreOffice?

Other programs have separate updating programs (iTunes being an example), if it was technically feasible, would having a separate install program for LibreOffice (with updating features) be useful to you?

Would having a download and update site, as well as a Unix|Linux package repository site, be of value to you?

-----------------------

Please note that I am not affiliated with DocumentFoundation. I am like you, a community member who wants to see LibreOffice be very successful.

So let's hear what you think folks?

Regards,
Scott Furry

1. Updates. Linux - Personally there is no problem with the current OOo practice of distro packages and OOo vanilla packages in parallel. This would suit me for LibO. However, it would be helpful for newbies if updates from the distro repositories could be available between distro upgrades - thinking particularly of Ubuntu and derivatives.

Updates. Windows - I have no problem with the current OOo practice, however a decent installer and, perhaps the ability to carry out partial updates/upgrades would be helpful.

2. I install install/upgrade the vanilla versions for linux (ubuntu) and use this in parallel with the distro version (OOo). When LibO goes to 3.3.0 final I'll probably remove the distro version.

3. Separate install/updating program - Haven't thought about this - could be nice but would want to know a few more details first.

4. Download & Update site in addition to a linux distro repository site - I regard this as a must - see my answer to 1., above.

Hope these answers add usefully to the sum total of knowledge being acumulated!

Terry W