Hi,

Von: Florian Effenberger<floeff@documentfoundation.org>

Am 07.10.2010 um 08:23 schrieb Jean Hollis Weber:

Is it possible to shorten this prefix on emails from the Documentation
mailing list?  [libreoffice-documentation]

someone asked to have a longer prefix -- initially it was
libo-documentation. Cc'ng André, who might have more insight. I want to have it consistent
amongst all lists, but am open for the shorter version also.

When we startet the l10n list, I got request to change from
"libo-l10n" to "libreoffice-l10n" . To apply this rule to the
documentation list, we should use "libreoffice-doc".

So, general rule would be: "libreoffice-"<short name of topic>

But I don't stick on that, as long as we do not change it every day :)

André

If you are going to re-organise the nomenclature and apply localization, may I suggest that for country and language designation you follow the ISO standard. As LibO is using an ISO standard document format, it would then stand to reason to follow and promote ISO standards.

The ISO country-code standard can be found here: http://www.iso.org/iso/english_country_names_and_code_elements

The ISO language-code standard can be found here: http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/codes.asp *

* SIL is the caretaker of the ISO language-code standard and has formulated over the years 3 code conventions. In order to circumvent the ISO country-code designation, I would suggest the SIL language-code 3 digit standard be adopted (almost all of the world's languages have been coded).

In using the ISO standard, LibO would be standing behind the ISO standard that sets the convention for its document format. This will legitimize even more the ISO standard.

I also think that the LibO should also take part in the ISO steering committees on document format as it's interest in a properly run ISO organization as well as a well-documented document format is in its core interest. It is what differentiates the LibO suite from the other non-compliant document format suites.

Marc