I've been lurking here for a while just reading and soaking up all the
info
rmation that is being discussed here.  There is one topic I have not se
en y
et.  Several big names have been waved as sponsors... Google, Novell
and
so on, but no comment on what that sponsorship means for LibO.  Are t
he s
ponsors providing financial support, or are they just saying 'We like
 Lib
O'?  What does this sponsorship really mean?

The page on TDF website is titled "Supporters" not "Sponsors" and the
opening sentence is "The idea behind The Document Foundation is already
supported by many organisations." This does not necessary mean financial
support, though of course it would be great if that happens too.

I suspect anyone using the word "sponsor" made a typing error.

OK, so I have misunderstood what it means to be a supporter.

I will rephrase my question to state, what does this support from Google
, Novell and others really mean for LibO?  Who is paying for all this?  S
uccessful open source projects always seem to have a company backing them u
p.  Canonical supports Ubuntu for example.  Without Canonical, I do not b
elieve Ubuntu would be where it is, or even exist.  Will those supporters
 fill the spot for LibO?

Jim