Re: [board-discuss] New Version of Strategic Marcom Plan

On 2020/07/17 16:22, Mark Hung wrote:

> My impression as a user regarding LibreOffice Personal ( or Individuals,
> Individuals WFH, students ) vs LibreOffice Enterprises is that they might
> be different in their features, where LibreOffice Enterprise might have a
> bunch of features that suits best in enterprise environments.

Most of the features that anything larger than a MicroBusiness want or
needs, require integration into other software, typically using an
extension for LibreOffice.

Enterprise users will see extensions such as WollMux as being part of
the default install.

Enterprise users are also more likely to see things like GIT, R, and
Zotero installed, as part of their LibreOffice, and treated as part of
LibreOffice, and not independent programs.

>However I wonder if it is really possible to make such kind of differentiation.

Currently:
* NeoOffice is the core LibreOffice product, with a number of
modifications that improve performance, functionality, and capability on
the Mac OS X platform;
* EuroOffice is the core LibreOffice product, with a number of
modifications that make it more useful for multilingual documents, and
offices;
* OxOffice is the core LibreOffice product, with modifications that make
it much more suitable for use in CJKV environments;

* Depending upon what you ask for, when you ask for it, and how much an
organisation is willing to pay, Collabora can provide an organisation
with everything from Tier 1 through Tier 5 support. The client can be
using anything from stock LibreOffice, to something the compiled
specifically for the client by Collabora developers, with complete
integration into all of the client's workflow;

> In reality, LibreOffice TBD will be controlled by contributors. Unless someone invest energy explicitly, the feature of LibreOffice TBD will not match its name. Eventually it might be very hard to differ it from LibreOffice Enterprise.

The way I see it, is that the LibreOffice Ecosystem support vendors will
be offering the core LibreOffice product, which has been customised for
the specific needs of the client organisation.

For the ecosystem partners, the crucial time to get into the client's
workplace, is when the client decides to migrate to LibreOffice. This is
when the client is most willing to spend additional money for the
customisations to LibO that are needed, for it to fit within their
existing workflow.

>Or maybe the life cycle that differs. LibreOffice
half-year-supported-release v.s LibreOffice LTS from ecosystem company

Currently, different vendors offer long term support for periods of time
ranging from two years to ten years. That won't change under the
proposed Strategic MarCom Plan.

jonathon