Re: [board-discuss] Initiative to improve communication channels

El 2020-07-17 15:02, Sophie escribió:
Le 17 juillet 2020 19:32:11 GMT+02:00, Simon Phipps
<simon@webmink.com> a écrit :
On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 6:19 PM Daniel Armando Rodriguez <
drodriguez@documentfoundation.org> wrote:

El 2020-07-17 13:20, Simon Phipps escribió:
> There is also CONSUL, which was developed as open source by Madrid
City
> Council, transferred to an independent Foundation and is now used
> worldwide. Italo Vignoli is a member of their Board of Directors.
See
> https://consulproject.org/en/
>
> All the same, I don't think it's necessarily a good thing to bring
> thousands of voters into a decision making process where they have
no
> responsibilities to moderate their exercise of rights. It will just
> become factional and partisan based on external agendas.

I believe that it is crucially important to allow as many voices as
possible to be heard, and the consequent monitoring process is
greatly
facilitated by the implementation of a tool such as Decidim so,
together
BoD & Community can decide about the issues that matter to us.

Please don't confuse "making voices heard", which is generally good,
with
"offering them a vote", which is generally problematic if they do not
carry
any responsibilities upon which their votes might rely and especially
if
they are willing to vote for ideas they don't fully understand on the
basis
only of personality or identity. Decisions made in that way have bad
outcomes.

This is not about offering to vote (wich can be disabled in Decidim
which I know better than other tools) but about providing a support to
a comment. It's very different because that allows people not fluent
in English to give an educated opinion and partipate. It's easy when
you're fluent to express yourself, and it takes hours to one who is
not, most of the time he will abandon before.

+100 :-D

--
DAR