New Version of Strategic Marcom Plan

A new version of the strategic marcom plan has been uploaded to
Nextcloud: https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/s/4pLtn9xn76BkxFK

Please refer to this version for your comment, as it clarifies some
specific points which were raised during the discussion, although not
mentioned at all in the previous slide deck.

Thanks for the update Italo,

I didn’t find what TBD is at the presentation so I search the internet and get this result from wikipedia [1]
TBD … to be done, to be dated, to be designed

Please add what TBD mean

[1] https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/TBD

Thanks for notifying us of an acronym that may lead to misunderstanding.

In this context it means To Be Decided.

We are still receiving feedback so nothing has been decided yet.

Ciao

Paolo

I didn’t find what TBD is at the presentation so I search the internet and get this result from wikipedia [1]
TBD … to be done, to be dated, to be designed

Please add what TBD mean

[1] https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/TBD

A new version of the strategic marcom plan has been uploaded to
Nextcloud: https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/s/4pLtn9xn76BkxFK

Please refer to this version for your comment, as it clarifies some
specific points which were raised during the discussion, although not
mentioned at all in the previous slide deck.

mobile/signal +39.348.5653829 - email italo@libreoffice.org
hangout/jabber italo.vignoli@gmail.com - skype italovignoli
GPG Key ID - 0xAAB8D5C0

A new version of the strategic marcom plan has been uploaded to
Nextcloud: https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/s/4pLtn9xn76BkxFK

Please refer to this version for your comment, as it clarifies some
specific points which were raised during the discussion, although not
mentioned at all in the previous slide deck.

Thanks for this new version.

Since Dries Buytaert's blog post “Balancing Makers and Takers to Scale
and Sustain Open Source” got multiple slides (slides 10-13), and there
were various discussions and different opinions on what use of
LibreOffice is considered morally acceptable and what is not, I think
it's worth reading the actual blog post [1] to get a clearer
understanding of how the term "takers" is used there; quote:

Next, I'd like to extend the distinction between "Open Source
software being a public good" and "Open Source customers being a
common good" to the free-rider problem: we define software
free-riders as those who use the software without ever contributing
back, and customer free-riders (or Takers) as those who sign up
customers without giving back.

All Open Source communities should encourage software free-riders.
Because the software is a public good (non-rivalrous), a software
free-rider doesn't exclude others from using the software. Hence,
it's better to have a user for your Open Source project, than having
that person use your competitor's software. Furthermore, a software
free-rider makes it more likely that other people will use your Open
Source project (by word of mouth or otherwise). When some portion of
those other users contribute back, the Open Source project benefits.
Software free-riders can have positive network effects on a project.

However, when the success of an Open Source project depends largely
on one or more corporate sponsors, the Open Source community should
not forget or ignore that customers are a common good. Because a
customer can't be shared among companies, it matters a great deal for
the Open Source project where that customer ends up. When the
customer signs up with a Maker, we know that a certain percentage of
the revenue associated with that customer will be invested back into
the Open Source project. When a customer signs up with a customer
free-rider or Taker, the project doesn't stand to benefit. In other
words, Open Source communities should find ways to route customers to
Makers.

I personally agree with the above.
Obviously, it doesn't mean that everybody needs to be of the same
opinion. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Michael

[1]
https://dri.es/balancing-makers-and-takers-to-scale-and-sustain-open-source

Hello Italo,

Thanks for explaining the reasoning behind the choice of words (p. 49-50). Perhaps I come from another filter bubble, so let me explain my perspective. To me, Personal Edition suggests a no-cost version of a proprietary application, with limits to commercial use. For example: [1] Personal Edition can also mean a time-limited trial version: [2] I'm not aware of any "Personal Editions" of FOSS applications.

On the other hand, Community Edition tends to mean that you get a fully open-source version of the application with community support only. This describes TDF's version of LO much better. I disagree with the assertion that CE versions are necessarily "crippled". AFAIK Debian, Gnome and KDE use the Community Edition of GitLab, i.e. it's fully usable even for big projects, even though some features are reserved for the Enterprise Edition.

It's true that "CE" branding usually suggests that the corresponding EE is proprietary. But as MPL/LGPL allow for making a version of LO with proprietary additions, anyway, I'm not sure how TDF could guarantee that EEs will always be fully open source?

BTW, despite the criticism above, I think there are many good ideas in the plan in general.

BR,
Tuomas

[1] https://store.unity.com/products/unity-personal
[2] https://www.microfocus.com/products/visual-cobol/visual-cobol-for-visual-studio/personal-edition/trial/