Re: [board-discuss] New Version of Strategic Marcom Plan

On 15/07/2020 16.05, Italo Vignoli wrote:
> A new version of the strategic marcom plan has been uploaded to
> Nextcloud: https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/s/4pLtn9xn76BkxFK
>
> Please refer to this version for your comment, as it clarifies some
> specific points which were raised during the discussion, although not
> mentioned at all in the previous slide deck.

Thanks for this new version.

Since Dries Buytaert's blog post “Balancing Makers and Takers to Scale
and Sustain Open Source” got multiple slides (slides 10-13), and there
were various discussions and different opinions on what use of
LibreOffice is considered morally acceptable and what is not, I think
it's worth reading the actual blog post [1] to get a clearer
understanding of how the term "takers" is used there; quote:

> Next, I'd like to extend the distinction between "Open Source
> software being a public good" and "Open Source customers being a
> common good" to the free-rider problem: we define software
> free-riders as those who use the software without ever contributing
> back, and customer free-riders (or Takers) as those who sign up
> customers without giving back.
>
> All Open Source communities should encourage software free-riders.
> Because the software is a public good (non-rivalrous), a software
> free-rider doesn't exclude others from using the software. Hence,
> it's better to have a user for your Open Source project, than having
> that person use your competitor's software. Furthermore, a software
> free-rider makes it more likely that other people will use your Open
> Source project (by word of mouth or otherwise). When some portion of
> those other users contribute back, the Open Source project benefits.
> Software free-riders can have positive network effects on a project.
>
> However, when the success of an Open Source project depends largely
> on one or more corporate sponsors, the Open Source community should
> not forget or ignore that customers are a common good. Because a
> customer can't be shared among companies, it matters a great deal for
> the Open Source project where that customer ends up. When the
> customer signs up with a Maker, we know that a certain percentage of
> the revenue associated with that customer will be invested back into
> the Open Source project. When a customer signs up with a customer
> free-rider or Taker, the project doesn't stand to benefit. In other
> words, Open Source communities should find ways to route customers to
> Makers.

I personally agree with the above.
Obviously, it doesn't mean that everybody needs to be of the same
opinion. :-)

Best regards,
Michael

[1]