Re: [board-discuss] Involvement of the board in the Marketing Plan

Hi Sam,

I was there in the meeting too, just like many of the marketing meetings in the past.  I have  regularly attended the marketing meeting, no matter the heated ones like yesterday, or small ones with only three people including me.

Before this marketing meeting, there has been some discussion / debate / even argue around some related topics in the Board.  Of course we would like to make some concrete plan but unfortunately some volunteer board members who would like to push these things forward were criticized as poor options for doing so, so eventually we decide to ask for Italo's expert to write the draft of this marketing plan and publicly discuss it with the members.

But, from another aspect, I totally agree with your concern about coordinating between the Board, staff and community.  As what I've mentioned in my statement running for the board, in my concept the Board is not the leader of the community.  Of course the Board needs to make decision and take the responsibility, but it should act more like a platform, allowing many members even staffs showing their thoughts even experts.  That is one important reason why we make the board meeting more public and decide to make the topics we discussed in the public section as default unless it meets some requirements to be private.  The only thing I insist when trying to make as many people as possible to show their opinions is that everyone should respect other people, and their different thoughts and comments.

Of course such concepts may differ even conflict with the basic concepts of other board member, I don't really know if any.  But anyway in this term, as a member of the board, I'm happy to see that more community members showed their comments and thoughts.  The Board's responsibility is to make it a workable and concrete plan so maybe not all the thoughts from the community will be taken; but at least I hope that the community members can see the changes of the board we're doing hard -- the board is trying to be more open, friendly, and get closer to our community friends.

Regards,
Franklin

--
Franklin Weng
Deputy Chairman, Board of Director & Member, Certification Committee