Re: [board-discuss] TDF's key goals now in Redmine

Hi Andreas,

On 22/06/2020 19:01, Andreas Mantke wrote:
> could you please explain what is the next generation?

Well, I know where you want to go :)

A generation is typically 20 years. New generation, here are the
devs/contributors my age or younger. Those still students or entering
the world of work.[1]

> And why do you think that only younger people will bring 'fresh air and
> perception' into the project?

To answer your question, ask yourselves whether you were born with a
computer?

From a 2 years work at handling the LibreOfficeFR Twitter account, I
have realized we sometimes have interesting questions from that "new
gen". e.g. "will I loose my documents if I remove LibreOffice". Why
that? Because they were born with a smartphone and don't know the usual
computer we are used to use: desktop/laptop computer.

The same applies to social media. Some, here, don't understand the
importance of a polished and proactive (what I call modern)
communication like KDE/GNOME are nowadays doing.

If you want me to define what's "modern communication", feel free to
follow us in the marketing mailing list =)

> I don't see such connection to the age of one.

Now you should see. :)

Also ask yourselves whether the new generation is using email with
mailing list or a beautiful and eye catchy Discourse instance accessible
from **mobile** (see rdm#2952 and rdm#3246).

> If I interpret the purpose of the Redmine ticket correctly it is not
> targeted to developers. The LibreOffice project is not a developer
> project only.

Sure. But the most important thing to work on is the lack of devs. Have
a look at the UI channel, everyone wants to do UI, but we are not enough
devs to implement such changes. :)

Since I now have recovered plenty of time for the project, virtual
hackathons is something I want to lead, at least for the French
community. :)

> Developers are only one part of the project but their work wouldn't be
> successful without e.g. documentation, user support etc.

You are absolutely right, this is why in talks about FOSS when I was
advocating for it back in the days, I used to say (pardon my harshness):
the software as in code would still be there with only devs. However,
without all the other skills participating in a FOSS project we would
have lost our soul and our community spirit =)

Have a nice evening,

[1] I didn't follow that path. Made things in reverse order by acquiring
a 5+ years of experience in IT/dev than completing my computer
management degree... Some would say I walk on the head, which could
explain a lot of things :D

--
William Gathoye
Hyper<hack>tive volunteer for LibreOffice