Re: [board-discuss] LOOL user experience

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 9:56 PM Andras Timar <timar74@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 10:29 PM Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 9:06 PM Andras Timar <timar74@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I disagree. It's a myth. Yes, it can be hard, when firewalls, load
>>> balancers, 50000 users etc. are involved. It's the case when one needs
>>> professional support. But for the hobbyist, how hard is it to install CODE
>>> with a few clicks in Univention, or to follow my "5 minute" guides?
>>>

>> I'm sure you have done a great job for suitably-skilled people wanting a
>> quick evaluation, but the truth is that approach only takes you to the
>> point where the questions start. I have tried to get a LiOn system running
>> at home and have not succeeded in getting anything I can leave running for
>> my family, unlike the Asterisk-based phone system we are using (on a Pi) or
>> the NextCloud appliance we have installed (Pi-based).
>>

> If there were binaries for Pi, probably installation would be easy. In
> fact, I think that Pi support would be a nice community project and would
> not hurt any commercial interest.

There is already an armht/arm64 LibreOffice, both the one the Raspbian
folks distribute and a more up-to-date version in Debian (thanks Rene!).

There is also a work-in-progress Debian package,
https://salsa.debian.org/libreoffice-team/libreoffice/libreoffice-online (again
thanks to Rene).

But I'm told it's just too hard to unpick all the Javascript packages to
make it Debian-installable.

So, if you can help get that sorted maybe we can have some easy LiOn Pi
after all! The ideal would be something that runs from the GUI as a
NextCloud plug-in that, given the location and credentials of a freshly
installed Pi, would squirt LiOn into it and configure both ends to use it.

Cheers!

Simon

--
*Simon Phipps*
*Office:* +1 (415) 683-7660 *or* +44 (238) 098 7027