Re: [board-discuss] LOOL user experience

Hi,

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 8:40 PM Marco Marinello - Mailing lists <
lists@marcomarinello.it> wrote:

> This was totally a pain. The lack of any consistent documentation (until
> May 5 in the INSTALL file there was just written "Left as an exercise to
> the reader") was one of the biggest problems. The only way was to rely
> on old blog posts found on the internet.

Until recently the consensus was that TDF releases source tarballs for
LOOL. So there was no demand to write documentation how to create packages,
how to build a "product".

On the other hand it is fully documented in the source code in README files
how to build as a developer, if someone wanted to hack on the code.

The docker/l10n-docker-nightly.sh is also quite self-explanatory. (For
those, who don't know what it is: it builds a docker image from source.)

> Another totally undocumented topic (obviously I refer to the official
> documentation on wiki.documentfoundation.org) was the configuration of a
> reverse proxy to work with LOOL, essential since configuring LOOL to use
> a non-self signed certificate is even harder.

As TDF did not release binaries, I don't know who would look for such
documentation in TDF wiki. Collabora published documentation for CODE, e.g.:

https://www.collaboraoffice.com/code/apache-reverse-proxy/
https://www.collaboraoffice.com/code/nginx-reverse-proxy/

But there are other good sources of information, too, from integrators.

I even agree with Simon: deploying online is horribly hard. I've been

I disagree. It's a myth. Yes, it can be hard, when firewalls, load
balancers, 50000 users etc. are involved. It's the case when one needs
professional support. But for the hobbyist, how hard is it to install CODE
with a few clicks in Univention, or to follow my "5 minute" guides?

https://www.collaboraoffice.com/code/quick-tryout-owncloud-docker/
https://www.collaboraoffice.com/code/quick-tryout-nextcloud-docker/

Regards,
Andras