[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[board-discuss] How is TDC compelled to keep the user first?
- Subject: [board-discuss] How is TDC compelled to keep the user first?
- From: Brett Cornwall <email@example.com>
- Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 06:04:42 -0800
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
Other Free Software projects have had for-profit entities created underneath the stewardship of a non-profit; Mozilla Corporation and Canonical are two living examples. Sacrifices to user empowerment are often made at Mozilla Corporation (e.g. Pocket integration, advertising partnerships to silently install code on browsers, etc. - The list grows longer by the month as new scandals appear). Canonical has made similar sacrifices (e.g. Ubuntu One proprietary service integration, cease-and-desists towards fixubuntu.com).
1. How would TDF intend to protect users against the inevitable temptations to prioritize money/brand over users/computing ethics? "We can always pull the plug" is not a compelling argument as that's only used for the direst of circumstances, not the slow poisoning of the well that Mozilla have experienced.
2. How will TDF assure communities that the creation of a for-profit entity to manage branding that the above examples will not occur?
3. What assurances does TDF offer that assuage fears that the lifeblood of LibreOffice will pivot from one of community involvement to one of company culture (with community involvement as a PR spin)?
Thank you for your time.
Description: PGP signature
|Re: [board-discuss] How is TDC compelled to keep the user first?||Simon Phipps <email@example.com>|
|Re: [board-discuss] How is TDC compelled to keep the user first?||Michael Stahl <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
|Re: [board-discuss] How is TDC compelled to keep the user first?||Michael Meeks <email@example.com>|
- Prev by Date: Re: [board-discuss] Trademark policy
- Next by Date: Re: [board-discuss] How is TDC compelled to keep the user first?
- Previous by thread: [board-discuss] Trademark policy
- Next by thread: Re: [board-discuss] How is TDC compelled to keep the user first?