Re: [board-discuss] creation of The Document Collective (TDC)

Hi there

Just read the paper. It raised some questions.

What I'm absolutely missing is a draft of a business plan. Based on the experiences of collabora with the Apple Store (and perhaps CIB with MS) it should at least make clear the ability of self preservation of that business unit, expressed in the estimated yearly costs to provide the app-updates, estimated return from the stores, further costs like legal/tax consultancy, dues/fees, salaries etc. Without that, all further discussion seems senseless.

And what I do not understand at all is the reasons there is such a complicated and a difficult to zero controllable process with a "Public Software CIC" 50.000 € loan just to get an unincorporated association (whatever that means in terms of business and liability, i. e. ability to contract directly with app stores etc.

In Germany, founding a Limited Company (GmbH) will need 25 T€ initial capital (to which the liability of the company then is limited - we may even make up an "UG" with less to zero initial capital and liability). The overall costs are about less then 1.000 €, it'll take about four weeks time and perhaps one day work. So why the TDF does not start a GmbH (as owner) and use the 25 T€ initial capital (also loaned) to get it working?
Perfect control by the board and no hassle about "to commission a mechanism to spend TDC's income surplus in the manner agreed by the Board's Document" because all surplus will go automatically to TDF.

IF you don't like Germany, try a french s.a.r.l. But don't go outside EU, and GB is - sad to say - half way out and still on a "leave"-course.

No collision of interest too btw.
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Uwe Altmann