Re: [board-discuss] Hackfests, the next generation: A Call To Action

Hi Michael,

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 11:05:31AM +0200, Michael Meeks wrote:
> I guess one current organizational problem is finding someone to take
> ownership and/or responsibility, but I would hope that at first you can
> take ownership =)

In traditional Agile setups, the product owner decides how to spend money
without having to do most of the work (simplified). I consider it a bit ironic,
should we not find someone wanting to decide how to spend ressources. Its not a
problem organizations usually have. ;)

But yes, to get things started, I'd do that, but I hope in the long run we can
get more people onboard for this. Ultimately, it also gives insight in what and
why the BoD does/did certain things, which is knowledge (and skills) I would
like to see spread more widely.

> One of the big problems here is open and transparent selection
> criteria: what are they ? is this based on hourly rates or communication
> skill, or domain programming expertise etc. ?

Personally, I wouldnt give hourly rates too much weight unless there are orders
of magnitude apart[1]. Once we selected a topic for the Hackfest, I'd rather
focus on getting a balanced set of domain expertise and communication skills.
If we repeat those Hackfests, rotating topics will mean we should be able cover
different domains over time anyway.

Best,

Bjoern

[1] Which would be a thing to look into anyway, as it might imply
inbalances in the community of some kind.