Re: [board-discuss] Harassment and lack of code of conduct

Hi,

On Thursday, 2017-01-12 12:24:47 +0100, Katarina Behrens wrote:

> it has been brought to my attention that one of our (female) contributors, who
> is also a TDF member (this is why membership committee is in Cc:) has been
> harassed in a private mail by someone who reads development and general user
> mailing list.

This is of course inacceptable.

> This is quite a strong incentive for me to bring up the topic that is
> perceived as controversial by many, namely (the lack of) code of conduct in
> the community around TDF and (the absence of) action plan, as for what to do,
> when bad things happen.
>
> The most frequent (and in fact the only) argument I hear when mentioning code
> of conduct, or the fact that TDF has no code of conduct to be precise, is "but
> but but, we're such a bunch of nice guys, nothing bad has ever happened here,
> nobody has ever been harassed, so why bother, why restrict freedom of speech
> preemptively etc."

I agree we'll need such code of conduct. Even if we are (or were?)
a bunch of only friendly people it would be no reason to not have one to
make others feel more safe and secure who are not yet.

Personally I like the Berlin Code of Conduct
http://berlincodeofconduct.org/
which is already supported by various user and hacker groups.

If agreed, I suggest we make a formal decision at Bruxelles during our
meet-ups along FOSDEM.

Eike

--
GPG key "ID" 0x65632D3A - 2265 D7F3 A7B0 95CC 3918 630B 6A6C D5B7 6563 2D3A
Better use 64-bit 0x6A6CD5B765632D3A here is why: https://evil32.com/