[steering-discuss] paid Doodle account

Hello,

some of you may have noticed that the Doodle polls for our calls are without advertisings since January. I tested out the Doodle Premium service for one free month.

I'd like to keep the ad-freeness, it's not that annoying and looks much more professional. Anyone knows of a solution that does this for free? Moreganize is much better IMHO, but they don't support timezones yet, and I don't have the time right now to look into self-hosted solutions.

If we find nothing else, anyone would object to spend the 22 € from our TDF funds for one year of ad-free Doodle? Or don't you care about the ads?

Florian

I personally don't care about the Ads because I use AdBlock Plugin in my
browser.

Hi,

some of you may have noticed that the Doodle polls for our calls are without
advertisings since January. I tested out the Doodle Premium service for one
free month.

I'd like to keep the ad-freeness, it's not that annoying and looks much more
professional. Anyone knows of a solution that does this for free? Moreganize
is much better IMHO, but they don't support timezones yet, and I don't have
the time right now to look into self-hosted solutions.

If we find nothing else, anyone would object to spend the 22 € from our TDF
funds for one year of ad-free Doodle? Or don't you care about the ads?

The latter.
I also use AdBlockPlus and so did not even see any ad before January.
And: It is not one of our mainly used tools.

My 2c

Volker

Hi Florian, *,

Florian Effenberger schrieb:

[.. add free doodle ..]

I'd like to keep the ad-freeness, it's not that annoying and looks
much more professional. Anyone knows of a solution that does this for
free? Moreganize is much better IMHO, but they don't support
timezones yet, and I don't have the time right now to look into
self-hosted solutions.

If we find nothing else, anyone would object to spend the 22 € from
our TDF funds for one year of ad-free Doodle? Or don't you care about
the ads?

If that 22€/year aren't a big effort I'd agree with you.

1.) The service seem to be O.K. 22€ are not a big deal
2.) Most of us work for the project for free, why should we *pay*
attention to the adds on top of that, or do any effort to avoid that?

3.) If there is a selfhosting solution out there one year should be
enough time to find out and set up.

in summary

+1 to No Adds

Gruß/regards

Hi Florian, *,

Hello,

some of you may have noticed that the Doodle polls for our calls are
without advertisings since January. I tested out the Doodle Premium
service for one free month.

I'd like to keep the ad-freeness, it's not that annoying and looks much
more professional. Anyone knows of a solution that does this for free?
Moreganize is much better IMHO, but they don't support timezones yet,
and I don't have the time right now to look into self-hosted solutions.

If we find nothing else, anyone would object to spend the 22 € from our
TDF funds for one year of ad-free Doodle? Or don't you care about the ads?

I don't think, we should spent the money on this.
What did you think about this tool?:
http://gpl.univ-avignon.fr/rdvz/
We can host this on our own resource.

Regards,
Andreas

Hi,

I don't think, we should spent the money on this.
What did you think about this tool?:
http://gpl.univ-avignon.fr/rdvz/
We can host this on our own resource.

I think installing it costs more time than 22 € are worth. :slight_smile: However, if someone volunteers, I'm happy to wait for it.

Florian

Hi Florian, *,

Hi,

> I don't think, we should spent the money on this.
> What did you think about this tool?:
> http://gpl.univ-avignon.fr/rdvz/
> We can host this on our own resource.

I think installing it costs more time than 22 € are worth. :slight_smile: However,
if someone volunteers, I'm happy to wait for it.

Can I get a test environment on pumbaa? Then I volunteer.

Regards,
Andreas

Preferring to support other OpenSource projects is a good aim but 22 € is easier
to pay if that covers all of us and all the lists to get it sorted fast. It
does mean continuing to use existing systems that people are now familiar with
which is an advantage. Generally i would say we should try to use OpenSource
but in this case perhaps we can use the easiest thing and review it in a years
time?

Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi,

Can I get a test environment on pumbaa? Then I volunteer.

installing the virtual machines is still on my todo, but I don't know when I can manage this...

Preferring to support other OpenSource projects is a good aim but 22 € is easier
to pay if that covers all of us and all the lists to get it sorted fast. It
does mean continuing to use existing systems that people are now familiar with
which is an advantage. Generally i would say we should try to use OpenSource
but in this case perhaps we can use the easiest thing and review it in a years
time?

I'm all for OSS, and Doodle has IMHO some serious usability issues, even with the new design. I'm just looking for a quick solution, and playing some hours to install VMs or the like isn't something I want to work on now. :slight_smile:

If people are not upset by the ads, the free Doodle service is all we need, IMHO.

Florian

Hi :slight_smile:

I think sticking with existing systems is the best plan for now. Most
web-browsers have an Adblock. I installed in Firefox but it seems to be active
in all other web-browsers now. I love linux.

If Andreas Mantke or someone can test pumbaa or get a team together to test
options then that is great but while that testing is going on lets stick with
what we have. If 22 € makes it easier for people during that time and can cover
all the meetings on all the lists (if they choose to keep using it) then that
seems like a small enough amount to be ok imo.

Regards from
Tom :slight_smile: