[steering-discuss] Last night's announcement

Hi,

I'm sorry to say, but last night's announcement hasn't been delivered to all announce@ subscribers, and is also missing from our official archives.

The problem was that the timeout on the mailserver per default was set too low, and thus, with our large subscribers list, after a certain amount of time it just killed the sendout.

I hopefully fixed the problem, but I can't tell the missing recipients, so we have three choices:

  a.) Do nothing, as this was "just" an RC.
  b.) Re-send the announcement.
  c.) Re-send the announcement with the information that some recipients were missing.

Thoughts? I tend to a.

Florian

Hi :slight_smile:

I think C for a full release but i waver between A and C for an RC. Given the
festivities i would tend to agree with A too.
Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi again, sorry :slight_smile:

I am tending towards B as the easiest alternative now that i have read some of
the user mailing list. Which RC is it? 2 or 3. They are saying they look
forward to RC2 but i thought the announcement was for RC3? Re-announcing might
cheer some of those active people :slight_smile:
Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi Flo, *

I'm not a SC member, but just want to add my thoughts:

Florian Effenberger schrieb:

Hi,

I'm sorry to say, but last night's announcement hasn't been delivered to
all announce@ subscribers, and is also missing from our official archives.

The problem was that the timeout on the mailserver per default was set
too low, and thus, with our large subscribers list, after a certain
amount of time it just killed the sendout.

I hopefully fixed the problem, but I can't tell the missing recipients,

Do you know if the mails have been sent according their subscription time or their name / email address?

(I got the mail for example)

If you can find out, there would be quite a good chance to do c.) on just a part of the list - without annoying many people with a double mail.

so we have three choices:

a.) Do nothing, as this was "just" an RC.
b.) Re-send the announcement.
c.) Re-send the announcement with the information that some recipients
were missing.

d) point to the announcement on the website (if it is uploaded there) by a mail to all the lists except of announce (containing info about the partial delivery). Inform the native lang groups to tell it to their contributors.

This would probably reach most of the people interested in RC2 (together with blogging etc)

Best regards

Bernhard

Hi,

Do you know if the mails have been sent according their subscription
time or their name / email address?

(I got the mail for example)

If you can find out, there would be quite a good chance to do c.) on
just a part of the list - without annoying many people with a double mail.

it's not easily doable -- I can just send out to all recipients again, but finding out who received and who not is too much of a task just before Christmas, I fear. :frowning:

d) point to the announcement on the website (if it is uploaded there) by
a mail to all the lists except of announce (containing info about the
partial delivery). Inform the native lang groups to tell it to their
contributors.

This would probably reach most of the people interested in RC2 (together
with blogging etc)

Hm... does someone volunteer to do so? I can't do so in time :frowning:

Florian

Hi :slight_smile:

Ok, i 'vote' for option A. The people i was worried about in the users list all
know now (and most did already anyway). I have had a couple off-list emails
which was cool :slight_smile:

Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi *,

a.) Do nothing, as this was "just" an RC.
       b.) Re-send the announcement.
       c.) Re-send the announcement with the information that some
recipients were missing.

Thoughts? I tend to a.

I suggest to go with
d) fix windows all-lang installer name (misses "install" in the name)
and the apparently incomplete set of files
(e.g. http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/testing/3.3.0-rc2/deb/x86_64/
- langugepacks and at "lo"m upload probably was interrupted), then
re-send the announcement.

ciao
Christian

Hm, can you take care about it? I won't have time anymore from now on, I fear, just sporadically