Re: [steering-discuss] Community bylaws

Hello David,

Le Mon, 22 Nov 2010 21:03:21 +0800,
David Nelson <commerce@traduction.biz> a écrit :

> Hi, :-)
>
> Having been given permission to proofread and revise the initial
> draft, I presumed it would be OK to do the same for subsequent
> amendments. I hope I did not overstep myself there; if I did, please
> say so and I will, of course, desist. However, I came up with a
> revised text as below (it simply states exactly the same things, but
> re-worded).

thank you a lot for this!!!

> It seems that there are still some big ambiguities that would need to
> be resolved:
>
> "The Chairperson is elected by a special electoral college comprised
> of the BoD, the AB and and the ESC (however, ESC members who are also
> members of the BoD can only cast one single vote in this election,
> regardless of their membership of both bodies). The vote by this
> special college is not decided by the votes of the individual members
> taken as a whole; instead, each respective body holds a vote among its
> members, and returns a nomination of one candidate (a specific list of
> names, or one name only, will have been submitted by the BoD and the
> AB). The three bodies therefore arrive at a shortlist of three
> nominees. If one of the three nominees has a majority within the
> shortlist (has two votes out of three, or is a unanimous choice), the
> outcome is deemed to be decisive and the electoral process is
> concluded. However, if three different people are nominated, then a
> conciliation process takes place, with the aim of eliminating one
> nominee and making a choice between two nominees only. The
> Chairperson's term of office is two (2) years, but he/she can serve as
> many terms as are seen fitting."
>
> 1) "(however, ESC members who are also members of the BoD can only
> cast one single vote in this election, regardless of their membership
> of both bodies)": So which body do they cast their vote in? How and
> when is that decision taken? The choice could change the outcome of
> the voting.

Right, that sounds clunky so let me clarify: members of the ESC who are
also members of the BoD only vote at the BoD and not at the ESC. Is it
better?

> 2) "(a specific list of names, or one name only, will have been
> submitted by the BoD and the AB)": How would the list be drawn up?
> Perhaps you need at least a cross-reference to another clause in the
> bye-laws that resolves that question? If there's only one name, then
> there would be no point in voting at all...

I can clarify that, but in essence I guess 1)people will nominate
themselves to the BoD and 1)that the BoD as well as the AB can nominate
someone.

> 3) "However, if three different people are nominated, then a
> conciliation process takes place, with the aim of eliminating one
> nominee and making a choice between two nominees only.": That could
> give rise to a difficult situation...

Yes. :-)

> IMHO, you would need to
> establish a clear procedure for this, to avoid some tense deadlocks in
> the future...

Well, I think we can submit the Chairman's choice to the popular
election then (understand the TDF contributors).

Best,
Charles.

--
Charles-H. Schulz