Re: [steering-discuss] Community bylaws

Hi guys,

On Sat, 2010-11-20 at 01:57 +0100, Bernhard Dippold wrote:
> [...]

This is fairly normal, and there is usually both change and continuity
in things like the GNOME board. Also, old-timers are usually around and
willing to help out mentoring / getting people up-to-speed.

> >> Well, that is a good question. My personal take was at first for a 2
> >> years mandate. Then some others thought that 6 months would be good. I
> >> sliced the apple into two :)

I like a year-long term; it seems a good balance.

> > In line with this, I would propose split elections: Appr. 50% of the
> > seats each year.
> +1

So - I havn't got to looking at this in detail yet; but I strongly
recommend a 'fair' voting scheme - such as used by GNOME - ie. STV. This
makes it very difficult for a contributor with 51% of the votes to get
100% of the seats [ which 1st past the post assures ].

However - the obvious benefits of STV are really watered down by a
smaller electorate due to rounding errors; obviously, if (using STV) you
elect one person at a time, you have some of the first-past-the-post
problems.

Then, there is the admin overhead of elections, and the problems of
getting people to vote more regularly.

Thus, overall - I would strongly recommend a single, big vote, once per
year to elect everyone - and not worry about the continuity issues: they
tend to fix themselves. The electorate tends to value such things as
"experience" in the candidate's statements.

HTH,

Michael.

--
michael.meeks@novell.com <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot