Re: [steering-discuss] Community bylaws

Charles-H. Schulz wrote:
> > possible solution: sponsor's paid developers shouldn't participate in
> > ESC as *single* persons. Contributions in their free time and
> > following cooptation in ESC should be carefully evaluated from BoD or
> > Membership Committee.
>
> Hmm, I think it's a bit unfair to segregate corporate developers. On
> the other hand, what I can propose would not apply to the ESC but to
> the BoD: we can put a limit to members who are employees by the same
> corporations to three persons max.

Hi Charles, all,

yes, that would be good I guess. The exact number is I guess not too
important, maybe have verbiage like "not more than 40% of the board"
or something in place. It may also be helpful to further specify
affiliation with a corporation - e.g. there may be other ways than
employment, that influences decisions, like vested interest,
significant business relationships / partnership etc.

(see e.g. Gnome foundation bylaws, article VIII, section 2)

Regarding the valid concerns about limiting director terms vs.
keeping capable people / having a working board most of the time:
what about staggering votes, like only elect 1/2 of the board each
time? That way, existing board members can onboard newcomers, and
there's no interruption / hand-over times. Other than that, I *do*
believe limiting the time a person can serve is beneficial, since it
makes sure fresh blood comes in.

Regarding membership status, I kinda favour the opt-in approach -
i.e. members that want to stay *have* to re-apply each year. Of
course, re-application will be a formality most of the time (thus
hopefully not contributing much to the load of the membership
committee), but it will automagically limit members to people with
active interest (and active email addresses ;)).

Cheers,

-- Thorsten