[steering-discuss] By-Laws / BOD elections

Hi,

My question regarding the by-laws deals with the act of voting for the
BOD.

It is not clear to me if the BOD vote is in-person at the annual
membership meeting?

If so, and given the dispersed nature of the membership, would you give
a quick run down on the rational for this requirement.

Thanks much,

Drew

Hello Drew,

Hi,

My question regarding the by-laws deals with the act of voting for the
BOD.

It is not clear to me if the BOD vote is in-person at the annual
membership meeting?

If so, and given the dispersed nature of the membership, would you
give a quick run down on the rational for this requirement.

Thanks for your question; I'm not sure I understand it though; I don't
remember where we set an annual membership meeting (do you mean a
yearly conference?), but in any case I think that we have a regular
online vote once a year in mind.
Any thoughts?

Charles.

Hi Charles,

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/CommunityBylaws#Voting

This section changed a little bit with the last revision. In the first
posting it did mention voting in person, IIRC, in the current text that
is not mentioned. Just wanted to be sure.

Thanks

drew

> I'm not sure I understand it though; I don't
> remember where we set an annual membership meeting (do you mean a
> yearly conference?), but in any case I think that we have a regular
> online vote once a year in mind.

Hi Charles,

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/CommunityBylaws#Voting

This section changed a little bit with the last revision. In the first
posting it did mention voting in person, IIRC, in the current text
that is not mentioned. Just wanted to be sure.

I think I see what you're referring to. Well: let me just put it that
way: the exact voting procedure is not determined yet, and I don't
think we want (do we?) to clarify it at this stage. The basic
principles are: Members get the right to vote, and to elect other
Members, on a one member, one vote basis.

Best,
Charles.

- that really was the question, not specific logistics.

Great, no need to follow up any further on this here, for me.

Best wishes,

Drew

Hi All,

Maybe we can have a JCP like system wherein all members vote.

We can also give the sponsors a particular number of seats ( non-veto
powers) to the sponsors who have supported it .

I propose not exactly a JCP like system but we can look at a modified
version of JCP voting system

What do you guys feel ?

Regards
Varun Mittal <http://www.varunmittal.info>

Google <https://www.google.com/profiles/varunmittal87>
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/mittal.varun>
LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/varunmittal87>
Twitter<http://twitter.com/varunmittal19>

"Uncertainty is the only Certainty of LIFE"

Hello Varun

Hi All,

Maybe we can have a JCP like system wherein all members vote.

We can also give the sponsors a particular number of seats ( non-veto
powers) to the sponsors who have supported it .

I propose not exactly a JCP like system but we can look at a modified
version of JCP voting system

What do you guys feel ?

I am very much against your proposal that sponsors could have more
seats or something similar. One Member = One Vote. Clear and Simple.

OTOH, I am not familiar with the JCP voting process.
But if I may suggest: perhaps that level of details does not need to be
mentioned in the bylaws? Keep in mind that everything we put there will
automatically be difficult to change.

Best,

Charles.

Charles-H. Schulz schrieb:

Hello Varun

Hi All,

Maybe we can have a JCP like system wherein all members vote.

We can also give the sponsors a particular number of seats ( non-veto
powers) to the sponsors who have supported it .

I propose not exactly a JCP like system but we can look at a modified
version of JCP voting system

What do you guys feel ?

I am very much against your proposal that sponsors could have more
seats or something similar. One Member = One Vote. Clear and Simple.

+1

OTOH, I am not familiar with the JCP voting process.
But if I may suggest: perhaps that level of details does not need to be
mentioned in the bylaws? Keep in mind that everything we put there will
automatically be difficult to change.

The difficulty of changing the voting procedure is a point to mention it
in the by-laws.

It shows from the beginning a distinct procedure of voting (whatever it
looks like). This gives a reliability to each member/sponsor etc. that
the voting-process isn't changeable that easy. Nobody must fear, that
for the next election her/his vote doesn't count any more because a
minority/small majority thinks to have found a better way of election.

just 0,02 €
Karl-Heinz

Hi All,

I didn't mean sponsors will have more seats. I meant sponsors should have
some representation on board. There would be elections for rest of the seats
with a predefined procedure.

Why do you expect a sponsor to pour several million $ when you don't even
let them participate in the working. I am not asking them to be given any
veto. But to my logic they should be given a non-veto, nor majority role.

My 2 cents...

Thank You

Best Regards
Varun Mittal <http://www.varunmittal.info>

Google <https://www.google.com/profiles/varunmittal87>
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/mittal.varun>
   LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/varunmittal87>
Twitter<http://twitter.com/varunmittal19>

"Uncertainty is the only Certainty of LIFE"

Hi Varun,

I didn't mean sponsors will have more seats. I meant sponsors should have
some representation on board. There would be elections for rest of the seats
with a predefined procedure.

  I'm against that. If a sponsor is investing lots of money - they will
attract good developers, who will get well-known in the community, and
people will vote for them so they get onto the board.

Why do you expect a sponsor to pour several million $

  I do not :slight_smile: If they want to pour millions of $ in - they should do
that by employing people (or contractors) to develop the features, UI's,
L10ns, Marketing or whatever -they- need. That way - they can ensure the
money is spent on exactly what they want - without needing to fight some
corporate battle over a bigger pot of money :slight_smile:

  Of course, they should pay a nominal membership of several $10k's to
the foundation to support central infrastructure, that goes without
saying.

  HTH,

    Michael.

Hello all,

Please do take a look -again- at the bylaws that I just updated:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/CommunityBylaws

My modifications do not alter the text in any substantial way, however
they add four points:
- the ESC rules get clarified esp. regarding the election of the
  Chairman, and the ESC can now be "put under administration" by the
  BoD if it deems it necessary. However, neither the number of its
  members, nor its status of a non-elected body are changed.
- election of the chairman is now done by the same three (BoD, AB, ESC)
  but through the vote of the three assemblies, not by the vote of each
  of its individual members.
- BoD now gets its team renewed by half each year.
- Specific provisions concerning potential conflicts of interest at the
  BoD and the ESC have been added (see the Transparency section). So
  it's time to call Pavel again (just kidding).

As usual, let me know what you think.

best,
Charles.