[steering-discuss] Re: [steering-discuss] Community bylaws

Hi Charles, *

thanks for this profound and important work!

> Hello all,
>
> please read the first real draft of the Community Bylaws here:
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/CommunityBylaws

done :-)

> Feel free to comment on our beloved discuss list.

Do you mean this "steering" discuss list?

Or the general discuss@documentfoundation list?

Sorry if I chose the wrong one...

There are just two short comments I want to post:

1st: *Number of ESC members*

In "Governance" (http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/CommunityBylaws#Governance) it reads:
"Engineering Steering Committee : ... It is composed of 5 members. "

Two headings below (http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/CommunityBylaws#Engineering_Steering_Committee) it reads:
"The Engineering Steering Committee (ESC) is made of developers who are coopted (i.e, there's no need for election and there can be as many members of the ESC as needed). "

So what is the number of ESC members? "5" or "as many as needed"?

2nd: *Financial board*

The bylaws refer to a "financial board" in the "Definitions" (http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/CommunityBylaws#Definitions) under "Foundation":
"The * Document Foundation may have trustees (... all members of the *Financial*, ... and Directors' boards),"

as well as in the ESC paragraph (at least I understand "FB" as such):
"Duties of the ESC is to provide expertise and information to the BoD, the AB, *the FB*, the Chairman,
the Executive Director and any other officer of the Foundation"

I don't think we should establish such a board right from the beginning, the Financial Officier should be enough
- if it will be necessary it can be added later on.

Best regards

Bernhard