Re: [steering-discuss] FOSDEM DevRoom Call for Papers

Hi there,

On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 14:09 +0100, Cor Nouws wrote:
> Below the draft for the announcement and the link to the wiki.

Looks excellent.

> Do we want a deadline for the cfp ?

Good question; normaly some flexibility is good here, along with
prodding people into action.

> Do we want to tell about current uncertainty wrt refund of costs ?

I would make the text more like:

"FOSDEM is a free conference to attend, and we will try to seek
sponsorship, but funding is limited, so please only request it
if you cannot attend otherwise"

how about that ? :-)

> Do we want to discuss at Libreoffice@lists.freedesktop.org ?

Can do; lets whack it in the wiki first, and just not announce it - so
people can go edit it in-place there.

> The draft for the announcement:

And thanks for the great start ! :-) wonderful to get a nucleus to grow
this around.

> 2011 Brussels, FOSDEM... Your first chance ever to give a talk for
> LibreOffice at this great open source event … obviously you don't want
> to miss this!

Love it :-)

> So do you want to share for example your experience in starting hacking
> the code, or tell about the tweaks in your build environment, code
> changes you have done or those that you prepare, or your work on QA?
> Simply submit your proposal at our wiki:

One thing I would like is to have a range of talk lengths. ie. I think
we should have some 30 minute, and some 15 minute, slots - and perhaps
some 5 minutes. There is great benefit in having people simply stand up,
say hello, and sit down again ;-) so you get to know who they are - and
they build confidence.

> When there are too many proposals, we will have to choose, so please
> give a clear description of your talk, goal and target audience.
> We are going to try to arrange sponsoring for our speakers, but the
> possibilities are not sure at the moment.

I would ask for a couple of paragraphs about the talk - maximum 300
words - otherwise, some will write their life story, and others two
lines :-)

Anyhow - thanks muchly for the nice, punchy draft :-) and leading this.

ATB,

Michael.

--
michael.meeks@novell.com <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot