[steering-discuss] Support for OOXML

Thorsten Wrote...

Hi Leif,

> you wrote:
> > *Which of the standards (mentioned by name, version number and Amendment)
> > are supported by the application?*
> >
> > Answer:
> >
> > The file format for text documents, spreadsheets and presentations in
> > LibreOffice is OASIS ODF 1.2, Committee Draft 06, with a few extensions.
> > These expansions are part of the ongoing work in the constantly progress
> in
> > standardization and the extensions will be considered and approved by
> OASIS
> > and subsequently submitted to ISO for ratification.
> >
> "...and the extensions are, or will be submitted to OASIS for
> standardization". Scratch the ISO part. We cannot guarantee what
> OASIS approves, nor can we (individually) force OASIS/ISO's hand for
> ratifications.

Added!

> > LibreOffice can read and write ODF 1.0 and 1.1 documents.
> >
> Slightly misleading - read both, writes only 1.1.

Corrected!

> > LibreOffice partially supports ISO / IEC 29500.
> >
> Yes.
>
> > Question 3:
> >
> > *This implementation is in full compliance with that standard or has been
> > only partial implementation.*
> >
> > Answer:
> >
> > Implementation of the support for ODF is, in our belief in complete
> > accordance with the specifications mentioned above.
> >
> > Support for ISO / IEC 29500 is carried out in a way with focus on those
> > parts who ahve actually been implemented by others (Microsoft Office).
> Some
> > details of the specification has never been implemented in Microsoft
> Office and
> > other details has been implemented incorrectly. In LibreOffice, we have
> > chosen to implement the format of Microsoft Office because we consider
> > Microsoft
> > Office as the reference implementation.
> >
> "In LibreOffice, we have chosen to implement the subset of the
> format in use by Microsoft Office, because we consider Microsoft
> Office to be the implementation our users want to interoperate
> with."

Added

> > Support for Microsoft Office 2007 formats is merely designed two meet
> customer
> > needs in order to read and edit existing documents in t format – e.g.,
> > when exchang > ing documents with others. <bold>It has never been an
> explicit goal to support an
> > academic standard, and we can therefore not guarantee an implementation
> that
> > is completely in accordance to the specifications.</bold>
> >
> Let's please scratch this. The ISO29500 spec was immensely helpful
> to come up with the filter code, and at any rate, was the starting
> point and the tabletop reference for the devs on all sides of this
> endeavour. LibreOffice strives to be standards-conformant - so
> conformance with ISO29500 is the norm, not the exception. When it
> comes to bugs in implementations, the previous paragraph above
> already conveys what side we err on.

Why scratch it?

I think its an important statement (bolded) that we are not implementing
OOXML because its a standard but because our customers needs it. Therefore
we implement what the customers needs in their everyday work.

Your last statement is explained in the sentence below this: "We intend
to....."

I would very much like this part to stay.

> > LibreOffice intend - when possible - to support the approved standards in
> > full, including ISO / IEC 29500.
> >
> Quite. :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Thorsten