Re: [steering-discuss] Version numbering of LibO

Hi Florian, Sebastian,

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 6:03 PM, Florian Effenberger
<floeff@documentfoundation.org> wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> Sebastian Spaeth wrote on 2010-11-01 16.36:
>>
>> Dear all, all discussions seem to hint at that the first stable release
>> of LibreOffice is going to be a 3.3.0 release. I would like to have you
>> consider a different version for the following reasons:
>>
>> - LO 3.3.0 suggests it is equivalent to OOo 3.3.0 (which it is not, we
>>   have different bugs :-)). Seriously. LO 3.3.0 suggests 100%
>>   interoperability with OOo which we can't guarantee.
>>
>> - It is the first release of LO, but we consider it stable and useful,
>>   so 1.0 would make most sense to me. That shouts "USE ME", but at the
>>   same time does not convey "I am an OOo ripoff with a different brand
>>   by some people with too big egos."
>>
>> I'd love if you could briefly think about that in the next SC
>> meeting. I'll be happy about any decision, but it should be discussed
>> (and communicated) publicly.
>
> thanks for the proposal. There have been already discussions about that, and
> we came to the conclusion to start with 3.3, but not to follow all version
> changes OOo does. Time will tell how our release cycle and future version
> numbering would look like.
>
> I doubt we'll go back to LibO 1.1, now that 3.3 has been announced, but I'm
> open for the future which step(s) we want to make.

Agreed, I think we should revise the naming of our version and make
our own progression pattern (athouhg not àla Ubuntu please, I love to
learn a new English animal name every 6 month, most of the time nobody
is able to remember it ;-) and that is easy also to figure out which
version between the stable or the developer one.

> Happy to hear thoughts of the other SC members. :-)

You've mine :)

Kind regards
Sophie