Re: [steering-discuss] LibO registration page gone?

Em 29-10-2010 10:56, Michael Meeks escreveu:
Hi guys,

* Cons of registration page
+ It makes OO.o look like some shareware / marketing-ware thing
+ It clutters our startup, with extra confusing clicks
+ It has some annoying "annoy me again later" option you have
to carefully avoid.
+ There are real privacy, data collection and storage issues
around the data that is entered
+ LibreOffice currently has no infrastructure to register and
store that data at all, never mind in a compliant way
+ Very many people will simply ignore it, thus giving us only a
subset of users, and presumably those who care little for
their privacy
+ Ubuntu had a -massive- flamewar before removing a somewhat
more defensible dialog about something very similar, and
currently do not ship with this dialog cf.:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10044054-92.html

+ some corporate or Gov users/customers HATE this, as they are touchy on data privacy, newtork traffic, proxy setting, user assistance, help desk costs to explain why, bla bla bla....

In big corporations / Gov, 100.000 small individual annoyances is a huge annoyance.

Regards
--
Olivier Hallot
Steering Commitee