Report about numbers from Apple App Store

Hi all,

I asked the board more than three weeks ago, to provide to TDF members
the numbers from the Apple app store for the last years. But I and the
TDF members got no answer from the board about this numbers although I
reminded the board multiple times.

Although I asked for at least an interim message the board was not able
to provide such a status report. It looks as if there are reasons why
the board is not willing or able to work on such a report and exchange
the data with the TDF members. Thus I make this way of interaction with
the TDF members public here.

I look forward if the board see reason to change its behavior and
provide the requested report immediately (or at least an interim message
with a detailed description of the current status of this task).

Regards,
Andreas

Good evening Andreas, hi all,

Andreas Mantke wrote:

I asked the board more than three weeks ago, to provide to TDF members
the numbers from the Apple app store for the last years.

The current numbers were just published by Florian; for the past -
you've received a quite detailed answer from Michael Meeks on the
members list.

It is indeed unusual to discuss individual donations (in kind and
monetary) of any specific donor, even more so in public. TDF in
general is grateful for all contributions, big and small.

I suppose that might have been the reason, that nobody from the board
felt compelled to engage with your request yet.

All the best,

-- Thorsten

Hi Andreas,

Perhaps I’m missing something, but why would the board have these figures, unless the private company distributing the product agreed to provide them, or was under some contractual obligation to do so?

Just trying to understand exactly what it is you’re trying to say, or prove, as a point?

Personally speaking, I’m glad to be able to see how popular LibreOffice via the app store actually is.

Alex

Good evening Thorsten, hi all,

Good evening Andreas, hi all,

Andreas Mantke wrote:

I asked the board more than three weeks ago, to provide to TDF members
the numbers from the Apple app store for the last years.

The current numbers were just published by Florian; for the past -

correct, he posted the link to the numbers on Monday.

you've received a quite detailed answer from Michael Meeks on the
members list.

There were no detailed numbers in the answer from Michael, but only an
explanation, that he'd like to write an article (or a blog post?) about
the numbers but that he is not able to do this because he is to busy
with other tasks.

Thus there were no detailed answer given, neither by the board nor by
Michael.

It is indeed unusual to discuss individual donations (in kind and
monetary) of any specific donor, even more so in public. TDF in
general is grateful for all contributions, big and small.

You try to mislead the audience a bit here. It's not a 'donor' but a
business entity from the eco system. And it is not a donation but a
business deal.

A donation was given without any reward, but this was not the case here.

Thus I'm curious if and when the board is able and willing to give an
report about the numbers from the past to the TDF members.

Regards,
Andreas

Hi Alex,

Hi Andreas,

Perhaps I'm missing something, but why would the board have these
figures, unless the private company distributing the product agreed to
provide them, or was under some contractual obligation to do so?

sorry but it's a bit difficult to explain. There had been some
agreements about the process.

Just trying to understand exactly what it is you're trying to say, or
prove, as a point?

Personally speaking, I'm glad to be able to see how popular
LibreOffice via the app store actually is.

I'm glad about that too. The numbers from the Apple app store, Florian
published on Monday
(https://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/board-discuss/2022/msg01072.html),
showed it nicely.

Regards,
Andreas

Hi Thorsten,

It is indeed unusual to discuss individual donations (in kind and
monetary) of any specific donor, even more so in public.

So, detached from an individual case, there might be different views on the meaning of 'donation/donor'?

For those who like wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donation

Per se donations are given without return consideration. In theory.

In German language 'donation/donor/donate' translate to 'Spende/Spender/spenden'.
It is quite similar to the English 'spend'. Both derive from the common linguistic root.
At some point in the Anglo-Saxon environment 'spend' got more and more the meaning in the spirit of 'spend money', 'cost'.

German language kept the meaning of 'generous', 'unconditional', 'voluntary', 'charitable', 'non-profit', etc. and 'without return consideration'.

TDF in general is grateful for all contributions, big and small.

Absolutely.

Best
Stephan

You try to mislead the audience a bit here.

  I see no evidence of that from Thorsten.

It's not a 'donor' but a business entity from the eco system.
And it is not a donation but a business deal.

  I've been criticized for many things, but being criticized in relation to Collabora's donations to TDF is a newish one =)

  Please stop repeatedly mis-characterizing our donations.

  Regards,

    Michael.

Hi,

You try to mislead the audience a bit here.

I see no evidence of that from Thorsten.

It's not a 'donor' but a business entity from the eco system.
And it is not a donation but a business deal.

I've been criticized for many things, but being criticized in
relation to Collabora's donations to TDF is a newish one =)

Please stop repeatedly mis-characterizing our donations.

I quote from another email on this list, which explains a bit the
meaning of 'donor'/'donation':

--- begin quote -----

For those who like wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donation

Per se donations are given without return consideration. In theory.

In German language 'donation/donor/donate' translate to
'Spende/Spender/spenden'.
It is quite similar to the English 'spend'. Both derive from the common
linguistic root.
At some point in the Anglo-Saxon environment 'spend' got more and more
the meaning in the spirit of 'spend money', 'cost'.

German language kept the meaning of 'generous', 'unconditional',
'voluntary', 'charitable', 'non-profit', etc. and 'without return
consideration'.

--- end quote ----

If you get an asset from a charity and give back something (e.g. money)
in return, it's not a donation, but a business deal. And this applies to
this whole story here.

Regards,
Andreas

Hi all,

it's sad to see that the board is not willing or able to report to the
TDF members (not even internal) on the Apple App Store numbers from the
last years. The board shows not even the will to give an interim message.

This shows the lack of respect face to face with the members.

Regards,
Andreas