Nuisance With Private Emails

Hi all,

I want to inform you that I get on a regularly basis emails in private,
with 'friendly' instructions what I'm not allowed to address on mailing
lists.

I find this form of cautionary private emails pestering and not
appropriate for an open Free Software project.

Regards,
_Andreas_

Hi Andreas,

Hi all,

I want to inform you that I get on a regularly basis emails in private,
with 'friendly' instructions what I'm not allowed to address on mailing
lists.

I suggest you write the persons directly that you don't like that.
I assume it is something that could be written to the mailing list as well?

I find this form of cautionary private emails pestering and not
appropriate for an open Free Software project.

I think it is inappropriate to post this sort of vague accusations on the list.

Cheers,
Cor

Over the years, I also have occasionally received unsolicited private messages addressing some public behavior of mine. And, for me, those never added to the impression of a welcoming environment. (Where overall I /do/ have the impression of a rather welcoming environment around here. And irrespective of whether my own behavior had created a non-welcoming environment for other parties.)

I agree that such action doesn't feel appropriate. (And I fail to find any accusations here.) Lets all try to be friendly.

Pressuring via private channels is one of the biggest problems over the years, so it is not OK to respond like that, Cor.

Ilmari

Hi Andreas, all,

Andreas Mantke wrote:

I want to inform you that I get on a regularly basis emails in private,
with 'friendly' instructions what I'm not allowed to address on mailing
lists.

I can imagine that you might refer to one of my recent emails, where I
asked you to please keep developer list discussions on-topic
(political arguments are mostly off-topic there). That was sent in my
role as list moderator. It is recommended, standard behaviour to send
those in private (since it is of no interest to the other list
subscribers).

If your posting here indeed referred to my mails -

I find this form of cautionary private emails pestering and not
appropriate for an open Free Software project.

Then I apologize, if perhaps form or tone where not appropriate. On
the process per se (having 1:1 discussions or content moderation
suggestions as private emails) - this is, as said, standard
practice. For this list, it is even the recommended behaviour [1].

All the best, Thorsten

[1] https://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/board-discuss/2022/msg00455.html